(This project is part of the Urban Freight Lab’s Technical Assistance Program, where UFL contributes to the project by providing 1:1 match funds in terms of staff and/or research assistants to complete project tasks.)
This project seeks to examine how microfreight hubs can increase equity to services, benefit historically marginalized communities, and be joined to share micromobility options, social service agencies, and minority businesses in North Fort Smith, Arkansas.
The Urban Freight Lab will assist Frontier MPO and the City of Fort Smith by sharing knowledge and providing feedback as they develop a cohesive strategy to develop a microfreight hub pilot project that leverages community resources.
The proposed goal is to create a cohesive strategy to develop a sound planning process, grow collaborative relationships, produce a sustainable business model, and implement a microfreight hub pilot project that leverages community resources.
Summary of Project Phases and Associated Tasks:
- Assessment Phase
- Task 1: Gather and review background information regarding the plans, policies, codes, and data related to establishing and implementing microfreight hubs within North Fort Smith.
- Task 2: Conduct literature review on microfreight hub operations and business model.
- Task 3: Gather, review, and provide feedback on existing partnerships and stakeholders.
- Task 4: Identify and review potential microfreight hub locations particularly locations that will enhance accessibility to vulnerable groups
- Outreach and Learning Phase
- Task 1: Deliver virtual interactive coaching session on establishing and building collaborative relationships and pilot lessons learned.
- Task 2: Convene community champions, partners, freight carriers, and other stakeholders to develop clear understanding of community and stakeholder needs, concerns, and challenges.
- Task 3: Develop next steps and any action plans for moving a microfreight hub forward.
Partner Organization: Frontier Metropolitan Planning Organization, City of Fort Smith, Arkansas
The Urban Freight Lab awarded Technical assistance to the Frontier Metropolitan Planning Organization (FMPO) in Fort Smith, West Arkansas.