(This project is being conducted under the Urban Freight Lab’s (UFL) Technical Assistance Program, where UFL contributes to the project by providing 1:1 match funds in terms of staff and/or research assistants to complete project tasks.)
This project is focused on conducting targeted freight industry market research to identify strategies that can support charting a pathway to zero-emission freight strategies for New York City by 2050 and identify the associated roadblocks/barriers to entry.
Partner Organization: New York City Department of Transportation
- Understand the interests and concerns of freight industry and private sector stakeholders to enable collaboration and inform the development of NYC DOT’s Green Loading Zone pilot
- Actively engage NYC freight stakeholders to identify the greatest likelihood of accelerating the uptake and greater efficiency for zero-emission trucks.
- Improve NYC DOT’s understanding of the obstacles and roadblocks that impact progress towards achieving zero emissions urban freight in NYC.
Summary of Project Tasks:
Task 1: Research Scan
Review national and international best practices on zero-emission urban freight, and identify new and existing strategies that support achieving zero-emission freight in NYC, with a particular focus on loading zone and curb management.
Task 2: Market Research Survey Design
Develop a short survey for stakeholders (freight industry, consumer brands and parcel carriers, etc. serving NYC area) to better understand the potential scale, siting, and contextual implementation of the Green Load Zone (GLZ) pilot. The survey will collect data on:
- current trends and future estimations about the use of “green” vehicle fleet
- barriers and opportunities with prevailing market conditions
- key drivers and constraints for stakeholders
- needs, motivation and role of each stakeholder involved
Task 3: Freight Industry Market Research and Stakeholder Engagement
Distribute the survey, and summarize and synthesize survey findings. Findings will help NYCDOT:
- understand the interests and concerns of freight industry and other private stakeholders around the use of GLZs
- identify potential GLZ users and accelerate the uptake of it
- make informed decisions about implementation of the GLZ pilot
- chart a pathway to achieving zero-emission freight in NYC
Task 4: Final Report
Provide a final report to NYCDOT.